27 Nov 2023
Last Full Update:
22 Dec 2020
|Address & Map
Coordinates: 44.6073644, -79.4190960
|Elder abuse is abuse against a senior; the abuse takes many different forms:
- Physical abuse
- Sexual abuse
- Financial abuse
- Psychological or emotional abuse
- Systemic Abuse such as elder discrimination
To report abuse
- If the situation is an emergency and you believe that the person for whom you are concerned is at risk, call 9-1-1.
- The Seniors Assistance Team, OPP ask you to call the police (OPP detachment/local police) if you suspect or know of any elder abuse
- Seniors crime stoppers 1-800-222-8477, Crime Stoppers
Support, Information, ReferralsSimcoe County Resources
- Senior's Safety Line (Elder Abuse Prevention Ontario) - 1-866-299-1011. 24 hours a day, seven days a week, in over 150 languages. The hotline is a toll-free, confidential resource for seniors suffering abuse, including financial, physical, sexual and mental abuse and neglect.
- Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee - If you believe someone is no longer mentally capable of understanding their situation, and you believe that they are being harmed because they do not have enough to eat, or because their money is disappearing, you may want to call the Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee. The Guardianship Investigations branch of that Office has legal authority to investigate and intervene in these kinds of situations. They may be contacted at 416-327-6348 or 1-800-366-0335.
- Elder Abuse within a facility:
- Long-Term Care Home - Long-term Home Care ACTION Line at 1-866-434-0144
- Retirement Home - Registrar of the Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority at 1-855-275-7472. To report suspected abuse of victims living in retirement homes,the abuse must be reported to the Registrar of the Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority. The Director or the Registrar must look into all reports of abuse, and must send an inspector to the home immediately if the report is about harm or risk of harm due to 1) improper or incompetent treatment or care 2) abuse of a resident by anyone 3) neglect of a resident by a staff member or the owner of the home 4) illegal conduct.
- To report complaints about the operations at a retirement home and licensing breaches, call 1-855-275-7472
- Prevention of Seniors Abuse Network - Simcoe County - For more local resource visit www.psan-sc.ca
- Elder Abuse Prevention Muskoka
Contact: Heather Hay, Coordinator
Phone: 705-646-7677 Toll Free: 1-866-222-1224
|(50) Non Profit
|N/A for subject record
|N/A for subject record
Every effort is made to ensure that the information in this directory is accurate, up-to-date and comprehensive. However, Information Barrie cannot assume liability resulting from errors or omissions. Inclusion or omission of a program or service is not a comment on its quality.